Monday, October 24, 2005

Republican National Committee census

My wife just got a "Republican Party Census Document" in the mail last week, and I thought something in it was kind of funny. It's a survey, supposedly getting opinions from registered Republicans on all sorts of issues. At the end, though, it says:

Will you join the RNC by making a contribution today?
( ) Yes, I support the RNC and am elcosing my most generous contribution of:
[ ( ) $500 ( ) $250 ( ) $100** ( ) $50 ( ) $25 ( ) Other $____ ]

** A gift in this amount pays to mail 250 more CENSUS DOCUMENTS to registered Republicans.
[...]
( ) Yes, I support the RNC, but am unable to participate at this time. However, I have enclosed $11 to cover the cost of tabulating my survey.

If they're spending $11 to process ~18 simple multiple choice questions (fill in bubbles.. Yes, No, or Undecided), they've got a lot more problems than I can help them with even with a $500 donation. They need to learn to spend their money more wisely, and if I sent them any money, it would only be encouraging them to continue their current unwise spending. No thanks, I think I'll help them out by doing my part to teach them to be more thrifty.

Of course, this may have just been a thinly veiled attempt to solicit contributions, with the survey not really gathering anything particularly enlightening. I did a quick google search to see if I could avoid typing that excerpt from the survey form above, but instead I found some other people's rants about these "census" forms from previous years. It was entertaining to read these:

The T. Rex Essay - The Official GOP CENSUS DOCUMENT

Entia Multiplicanda

Apparently they used to include a 3rd option in the section about making contributions:

( ) No, I favor electing liberal Democrats over the next ten years.

Can you imagine how many of those responses they must have gotten? Multiply that by their $11 processing costs, and it's easy to see why they no longer include that option.

Oh, and this last one is my favorite:

My Nefarious Strategy Keeps Sucking The Republicans Dry! Dry, I Tell Ya! OK, Thirsty, Maybe.

This last one actually went on to describe how sending a small donation to the RNC would actually cause them to LOSE much more than you sent them, because of the additional costs they'd incur by bombarding you with lots of additional Republican propaganda. I love the sheer spitefulness of it!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wether I agree or disagree and to what extent or on which aspect of the issue is of no importance here but you just gotta ask yourself if you are doing any good at all. Are you a part of a solution or just another whiner?